“Finding the Gospel Story in the Songs of Les Misérables”
1. What is your favorite secular movie (or book) of all time? Why? What part of that story do you like the most?
2. Have you read Les Misérables? Seen the movie? Attended a theater performance? How many times have you seen it?
3. What is your favorite Les Mis song?
4. Pastor Doug suggested that you could find the Gospel Story in unusual and unexpected places. What does that mean? What kind of “eyes” does it take to find the Gospel Story in unusual and unexpected places?
5. Has this ever happened for you? Has there been a time when you were reading a secular book or watching a secular movie and been surprised to find the Gospel Story peeking through at you? Pastor Doug mentioned the following books/movies: Shawshank Redemption, Up, The Matrix, Velvetine Rabbit, The Giving Tree, Chocolat, Chronicles of Narnia, Don Quixote, Toy Story 3, … Tell us your story!
6. If Jesus was pastoring a church today, where do you think He would go to find the parables he would use in His sermons?
7. Is there a place in your life where you need God to “show up” this week? Can you tell us about that?
8. With the theater production coming to town in October and the movie coming out in December, do you have some friends who are Les Mis fans who might respond to an invitation to visit our church during this special time? What would be the best way for you to extend an invitation to them? Facebook? Phone call? Email?